Monday, August 23, 2010

Word Up!!

I just loved being a teenager in the 80s and 90s.  I can still hear the Cameo song in the back of my mind.  Word Up!  Everybody say...I also recall The Notorious B.I.G.'s reference to Word Up Magazine in one of his songs.  Word Up magazine was a popular magazine in the 80s and 90s, dedicated to teenage fans of rap, hip-hop and R&B.  I remember the walls of my room being plastered with the pull-out posters of Salt-N-Pepa, En Vogue, Guy, Boyz II Men, and the list goes on and on.

Speaking of words, let's explore the concept a little.  The Greek word logos means, word or speech.  I just want to know who came up with the saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."  That is a LIE straight from the pit.  That expression is a simple defense mechanism to hide the fact that we really are hurt, by something that someone has said.  Think about some times, as I am sure that there have been several in which someone's words did damage to you.  You're stupid, you're just like your daddy, you'll never make it out of the projects, you're black, you're a woman, you're not good enough, you're not one of us, you're ugly.  The list goes on and on into infinity.  But the irony is that often times statements like these may have come from someone that is very near and dear to us.  With friends and family like that, seriously -- who needs enemies?

The challenge for today is to use your logos, to edify someone, build someone up, encourage someone, make someone feel good about themselves.  I can assure you, that it will come back to you in some unimaginable way.  Use your words to help, not to hurt.  Word Up!

Peace,
Karsten

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you brought this up. We really need to be mindful of how our words can affect others. I'm going to use my words to bless others!

    ReplyDelete