Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Gardener

I just left a faculty book discussion on Parker J. Palmer's book The Courage to Teach.  It's a really good book.  One thing that I discovered, is that I enjoy having intellectual conversations about my profession with my colleagues.  One would think that teachers do this all the time, but due to the complexities of our school activities and individual teaching schedules, it does not always happen.

After the large group discussion, we broke into smaller groups of three or four.  I was in a group with two colleagues whom I admire very much, an English teacher and a Humanities teacher.  We had an interesting discussion during which, I discovered that when I am teaching at my best, I am like a gardener.  I drop seeds of knowledge that take a long time to germinate and bring forth the expected fruit.  However the end results of knowledge, wisdom and practical experience are very timely and enjoyable.

The challenge for today is, think about your vocation, and how you perform, and what you are like when you perform.  For example, when I am coaching or presenting at my best, I feel like...Get in touch with those feelings and reignite the passion that you have for your profession, whether it is teaching, preaching, practicing law or weaving baskets.

 "The darkness around us is deep.  But our great calling, opportunity, and power as educators is to shed light in dark places."  Parker Palmer

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment