Thursday, October 14, 2010

I wouldn't take nothing for my journey

Have you ever stopped to think about your life's journey?  If not do it now, or after you've finished reading this.  I can remember as an undergraduate, I had my professional life all mapped out.  With my journalism  and Spanish studies, I was going to replace Bryant Gumble on the Today Show, and would like to have been the first male host on "The View."  Could you imagine me with Joy Behar and that blonde chick that I never pay attention to?

Ideally, if I were not teaching Spanish, I would be a professional drummer, bartender or US Ambassador to some exotic Spanish speaking country.  Needless to say, that my plans did not come to fruition, as I had planned.  I have been teaching for almost 13 years, and love every minute of it, well almost every minute.  I am very active in my church and chapel program at my job, and find it difficult to believe that I will soon be going through the nomination process for Holy Orders in the Episcopal Church. 

I've lost baggage on my journey, had to switch travel partners and airlines, had to deal with gate keepers at the customs and immigration check points.  I've also had some moments of sitting on the tarmac, and waiting at the gate.  I've missed flights, busses, trains and boats.  Distractions and hindrances have impeded my journey, but they have gotten me in route to my spiritual destination.  Although this destination is not in Studio 1 with Matt, Meredith, Anne and Al.  I'm not even drumming with Sheilia E, or sliding shooters down the bar to my regulars.  But I am well on the path that God has set out for me.  He's traveled the journey before I was even thought about.  He's traveling with me now and will be there to welcome me when I get there.  I would not take nothing for my journey.  It has fortified my character, perfected my faith and led me into my divine purpose.

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment