Friday, August 12, 2011

Would you marry you?

I wish that I could take credit for this.  I guess that at some point, if I'm fortunate enough to counsel couples engaged to marry, or individuals who want to marry, I could offer this practical advise.  These are borrowed words from Iyanla Vanzant's "Acts of Faith" for August 11.

Would you marry you?

We are always looking for the perfect relationship.  The goal is to find that perfect someone who will make our lives a better place to be.  It is unfortunate that we don't realize  perfection runs two ways.  In order to find that perfect somebody, we must believe that, whatever perfect is, we have already achieved it.  No one can give us what we don't already have.  Mr. or Ms. Right cannot be to us what we are not.  If we are unhappy, unfulfilled, not pleased about who we are, we owe have to ask ourselves:  Would I marry me?  Am I doing my best, giving my all, being the best I can be to myself?  If not, why are we pawning ourselves off on someone else.  We need to take time to do some homework on self-love, self-esteem and self-confidence.  When we can pass the test of self acceptance, the perfect someone who will compliment all that we already are will walk right through the door.

Peace,
Karsten via Iyanla Vanzant

No comments:

Post a Comment