Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Going beyond the mask...

We wear the mask that grins and lies, it hides our cheeks and shades our eyes...

These are the opening lines from Paul Laurence Dunbar's poem "We wear the mask."  I was formally introduced to the works of Mr. Dunbar during my junior year of high school back at J. H. Rose High, courtesy of Ms. Emily Lou Davis, who was more formidable than some of my college literature professors.  It was in Ms. Davis' class that I was forced to memorize this poem and recite it before my classmates.  Oh, I just loathed the experience, but loved the poem.  I felt the same way when we had to do the same with William Cullen Bryant's "Thanatopsis." 

 
I'm not going to go into much detail about the historic context in which this poem was written.  I'm not going to expound too much on the fact that the majority of the poem is written in iambic tetrameter or is laced with alliteration.  I do want to focus on the opening lines of the poem.  "We wear the mask that grins and lies, it hides our cheeks and shades our eyes."  How often do you go about your day and people ask you, primarly out of obligation, or good manners; "How are you?"  You immediately say "great" and if you have manners you may say "And you?"
 
It's not even Halloween yet, but I am sure within the next week or so, Target and Wal-Mart will not disappoint with the roll out of fall harvest decorum and Halloween costumes.  Brothers and sisters, we are wearing the mask that Dunbar refers to.  How many times can you recall that you may have just spoken to someone, only to find out that a short while later, some calamity may have befallen them?  Anything ranging from death, divorce, unemployment, grief, infirmity, financial ruin, unemployment, foreclosure and the list goes on and on and on.  Typically, these life changing events tend not to happen sporadically, although they can.  Often times these events have been buliding up for the ultimate crescendo. 
 
We wear the mask, and we wear it so well.  Our jobs, churches, temples, synagogues and schools are filled to maximum capacity with masqueraded folk.  If you're like me, you're one of them.  Think about the last time someone asked "How are you today?"  You said -- fine, okay, so-so, great or whatever.  But if you were honest with yourself at that moment, you were not fine or okay.  A part of your world was crumbling and there was nothing that you could do about it.  At times we are lucky enough to have someone that really knows us, and can readily tell that we are not being completely honest, and they will compel us to talk and fess up. 
 
I wish that I had a solution for what I call the "Masked Front."  However, the challenge that I want to lie before us is this.  I want us to go beyond the mask, and deal with what everything hiding our cheeks and shading our eyes.  If that means you have to confide in a trusted friend or professional, do it!  If that means you have to put your pride aside and be the bigger person, do it.  If it means that you have to extend the olive branch of peace to reconcile a broken relationship, do it.  If it means that you have to hold up the blood-stained, tattered white surrender banner and give it all to the Almighty, do it.  Whatever you have to do, Let go and let God. 
 
I'm not saying to destroy your mask, after all Halloween is around the corner, and sometimes it is appropriate that we wear our mask.  However, what I am saying, is put the mask down.  Be open to both your inner and outer beauty.  Be open to the truth, and deal with it.  John 8:32 tells us that "Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free."  There is liberation and freedom in dropping the mask, but you have to take the courageous first step and deal with your biggest obstacle, YOU!  Allow me to quote from Psalm 139:14 "I will praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."  We wear the mask that grins and lies, it hides our cheeks and shades our eyes.  I dare to put down the mask, look in the mirror and deal with the precious reflection staring at you that was created in the image of God, to illuminate the this dark and hurting world with the light and love of Christ.  Thanks be to God!
 
Peace,
Karsten
 
For the complete poem, check out this link:  http://www.potw.org/archive/potw8.html

No comments:

Post a Comment