Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Testing 1-2-3...Testing!

The word test means many things to different people.  It could be a test of the Emergency Broadcast System.  For some of us, it can be a trial of some type, for others it could be a practice or rehearsal for a concert, play, ceremony or show.  For others of us it could be when we are required to produce a level of knowledge or competence in written or spoken form.  For my students, it is simply a state of pending doom.  The Spanish word for test, la prueba comes from the infinitive probar, which means to put to test, to try, to sample.  However, let's not forget that before any type of test, there has to be a period of preparation.

I'm reminded of this past spring, my seniors took their exam on a Saturday morning.  Not particularly wanting to be at work at 8:45 on a Saturday morning, I had to do something to lighten the load.  As my students were coming in the classroom, I started singing the gospel song "This is only a test."  It goes like this..."This is only a test you're going through, it's gonna be over real soon, keep the faith.  Don't give up.  It's only a test."  My favorite part of the song is the vamp when the tenors sing "Hold on, be strong.  It's only a test."

Imagine the looks that I got from thirty groggy 18 year-olds who didn't want to be there on a Saturday as much as I did.  But after reassuring them that their final examination was the last hurdle of my class between them and their diploma, there was a great calm in the classroom.  I'm not saying that your current test will be your last test, but hold on, be strong.  It's only a test.  It will be over real soon.  Remember that in the midst of your test, you have nothing over your head, but victory under your feet.  I hope you ACE the test!

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment