Tuesday, September 14, 2010

It only takes a spark

One of my favorite childhood memories is Vacation Bible School and Youth Sunday at church.  My favorite song to sing in youth groups is Kurt Kaiser's "Pass it on."  The song goes like this.  It only takes a spark to get a fire going, and soon all those around can warm up in its glowing; That's how it is with God's love, once you've experienced it, You'll spread the love to everyone, you'll want to pass it on.  I'll shout it from the mountain top!  I want the world to know, the Lord of love has come to me I want to pass it on.  I can still see myself linked arm in arm with the cohorts from my youth without being jaded and just simply a carefree child.  Those were the days.

When we think of the concept of love, it can be so layered.  We have the love of self, the love of our fellow man and relatives, as well as the love of our significant other.  However God has a love for us that surpasses our human understanding.  This type of love is described as agápe in Greek.  This is the love type which is so beautifully described in I Corinthians 13, or the Love Chapter of the Bible.  This love is sacrificial in nature, unassuming and reflects the love that one has for their children. 

I'm reminded of another song that tells us that love is something when you give it away.  The challenge for today is to ignite a spark of love and pass it along to someone that may be undeserving or without merit.  After all, that's what God did for us, and you should pass it on.  Live, laugh and LOVE with every fiber of your being.  Now these three remain, faith, hope and love.  But the greatest of these is love.

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment