Thursday, May 26, 2011

Where are you going?

Where are you going?  To be quite honest with you, I can't answer that.  Last night, I had an opportunity to speak with a guru and mentor in the higher education arena, he also happens to be a friend of my brother, Kelvin.  "Stan the Man," as I call him is a wealth of information, and an overall really cool guy, from Eastern North Carolina.  As I often do from time to time, Stan quoted his grandfather by saying, "The worst place in life to be, is to already be where you are going."  Wow!  What a prolific statement.  It makes one think.  "The worst place in life to be, is to already be where you are going."  I could end the blog entry now and bid you peace, but I will share how that statement really blessed me.

This past Sunday was the 169th Commencement Exercises at my job.  The seniors donned white caps and gowns and listened to salutatory and valedictory remarks, as well as a keynote speaker and words of encouragement from our school's president.  Needless to say that these young graduates and newest alumnae of Saint Mary's are college bound and in a quest for independence transitioning into early adulthood.  I am reminded of Dr. Seuss's story "Oh the places you'll go!"  But for those of us, who have not gone through recent pomp and circumstance, with  sashes, honor cords and all the rights and privileges thereunto appertaining, where are we going?  "The worst place in life to be, is to already be where you are going."  How many opportunities have we not pursued out of complacency and the fear of starting over.  Has contentment with our current stop on the destination caused us to miss our connecting flights?

I am reminded of my officemate Ellie, a brilliant Davidson alum with lots of potential.  She is such an inspiration to me and may not even know it.  Ellie has taken the lemons of life and made the best lemonade on the planet.  Her new journey is calling her to pursue her Masters of Spanish Literature at my alma mater, North Carolina State University. GO PACK!  This year in particular, it has been a blessing working with Ellie both inside and outside of the classroom.  Clearly Ellie, in my eyes is pushing herself beyond her current situations in order to arrive to her successful latter end, and for that I have the utmost respect and admiration for her. Whatever your situation, be it personal, professional, spiritual or relational; ask yourself:  Where am I going?  In asking yourself this, remember the words of Stan's grandfather, "The worst place in life to be, is to already be where you are going."  Thanks Stan and Ellie.

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment