Monday, May 16, 2011

HE shepherds me!

While sitting in church yesterday and in eucharist on Friday, I was so excited.  Within the liturgy there was so much talk of sheep and shepherds.  There was singing about sheep and shepherds with hymns like "Shepherd of souls, Savior like a shepherd lead us, and My Shepherd will supply my need."  Needless to say that there was more than a bit of excitement within me when I realized that Psalm 23 was the appointed psalm for the day.  I think that outside of the Lord's Prayer, that was the first thing out of the Bible that I truly remember having to memorize as a child and it just stuck with me throughout the years.

I remember that hot summer afternoon when my grandmother Annie sat me down and told me to "learn Psalm 23 by heart."  She opened her big black family bible, turned to the Psalm, left me, and there I sat for what seemed to have been an eternity.  Later that evening before my mom got off work, she called me to the kitchen table and made me recite it.  My grandmother told me "Baby, whenever you're in trouble no matter what you've done, or when you feel overwhelmed, pray that psalm to yourself.  I actually did earlier today.  Now, with me growing up in the fiery Baptist household that I did, my favorite version of Psalm 23 is the King James Version.

However, many people do not share my love for Psalm 23.  I was in a conversation with a friend today and she said, "not one of my favorites, that's the funeral psalm."  Many do associate psalm 23 with death and funerals as it tends to be read at funerals and there's that line about the valley of the shadow of death and not fearing evil.  But if we look at the gospel reading appointed for yesterday (John 10:), Jesus basically assures his disciples that he is the Good Shepherd, and that he has come not give us life, not just a random, pathetic, jacklegged life, but life more abundantly and life to the fullest.  When you have a chance, read John 10:1-18 coupled with Psalm 23, it will bless you.

Yesterday in church, as my priest was preaching on my favorite psalm and probably one of my top five favorite gospel readings, she explained to us what the abundant life is.  I know that when I hear abundant life, I think of a life that is overflowing with all good things, no drama, worries or concerns.  Let me tell you, I am dead wrong.  In the words of my priest and rector, Kimberly Lucas:  "Abundant life does not mean that one will have a life devoid of pain and suffering.  Abundant life is life that is lived in Christ and full of things that money cannot buy.  Even as we suffer through our afflictions, in abundant life, we find ways to serve God joyfully."

Knowing that no matter what comes or goes, Christ the Good Shepherd will never have you be in want, while resting in the green pastures.  He will continue to guide you in the right path, even if you feel as though you are at death's doorstep, he is with you.  When your enemies taunt you, they will see his glory upon you and the anointing that you have on our life will overflow into the lives of others.  His goodness and mercy will follow you forever and we shall live in a house not built by hands but of heavenly splendor.  What an assurance!  Wait on the Lord and be of good courage, knowing that HE shepherds you and me.

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment