Monday, May 23, 2011

If you don't stand for something...

It has been said that "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."  Have you stood in the face of opposition lately?  Have you had to put yourself out there in a way in which others may not be manipulated or abused?  Have you raised your voice against societal injustice lately, or was it more convenient to cower in silence?  Betty Ray McCain was the keynote oratrix at the 169th Commencement Exercises of Saint Mary's School yesterday.  I don't remember ever laughing so hard during any other commencement speech, and as a teacher and student, I've heard quite a few.  Ms. McCain offered so many comical nuggets of advise that were touching and indelibly funny.  She shared with the audience, that ignorance and apathy are two BFFs (best friends for life) that we should avoid like the plague.  If you are ignorant of things that are going awry around you, it is very easy to adopt an "I don't care" attitude.  Which goes on to say, If you don't stand for something, you fall for anything.  I know that we have to pick our battles and dates with Goliath wisely.  However there comes a time in life, when enough is enough.

I am faced with a situation in which I have to stand up for myself.  In the words of my mother, Beverly, "Right is right and wrong is wrong."  It leaves me no choice.  In Ephesians 6:10, we are reminded by the Apostle Paul to "Be strong in the Lord and in the power of his might."  I have to confront this Goliath, clad in the armor of God.  Later in that same chapter, Paul admonishes us put on the armor of God.  "Stand firm then , with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.  In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.  Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints."  now that may be a bit dramatic for the situation in which I have to address.  But I am comforted knowing that I am on the side of truth.  In my act of standing, not only am I standing for my own personal rights, but the rights of others that are with me in the struggle and others that are yet to come.  If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.  Be strong in the Lord.

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment