Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mom

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers and mothers in proxy, both female and male!  Ah, motherhood...they say it's the toughest job you'll ever love.  The Bible has several examples of mothers, some good and some not-so-good.  Let's see there's Eve, the mother of humanity, Sarah, the wife of Father Abraham, Leah and Rachel, the mother from whom the twelve tribes of Israel would originate, Hannah, the mother of Samuel, Herodias the mother of the dancer to whom King Herod delivered the head of John the Baptist, and Mary, the mother of Jesus.  In the New Testament, the church is metaphorically referenced as a mother because from her we have the disciples of Christ.

Lord knows you can't pick your family, you just make the best of the one that God assigned you to.  My mother, Beverly Jane Parker Tyson is such an inspiration to meet and has in many ways shaped me into the adult that I am today.  Although sometimes we don't see eye to eye, I truly realize that ultimately love makes her say and do some of the things that she says and does as it relates to me.  Through my eyes and the eyes of my siblings we all have different accounts of my mother even though she is the same person.  My sister Pamela and brother Kelvin remember my mom early on before the baby (me) came and life with my dad.  I, on the other hand, remember seeing my mom raise three children as a single mom after my father passed away.  The sacrifices she made were clearly out of love, often placing our needs above those of her own.  Now that's love.

Whether your mom is here today, or crossed the sands into eternal glory, it is important that you celebrate her and let her know how much you love and appreciate her.  Sure, she may have been able to do things differently when it comes to raising you, but bear in mind, that she probably did the best she could with what she had.  I just want to take time to recognize the women in my life whose maternal love have impacted me in immeasurable ways.  These sisters come from all areas of my life; home, church, friends and colleagues.  Annie Laura Carr Tyson, Mary Gilbert Parker Jenkins (grandmothers), Beverly Parker Tyson (mother), Marjorie Person (godmother), Pamela Tyson-Tillery (sister), The Revs. Andrea L. Wigodsky, Ann Bonner-Stewart and Kimberly Lucas (Spiritual mothers in the gospel), Lisa Grabarek and Joan Williams (my work mommies), Bree Elzy (friend and colleague), Dr. Jane Bowers Paige (mentor), Andreadease Mallette (newly adopted church mom) and Felicia Monique Rousseau (college friend).  Thank so you much for all that you have given me.  To God be the Glory!

"Faith of our mothers, living still
In cradle song and bedtime prayer;
In nursery lore and fireside love,
Thy presence still pervades the air:
Faith of our mothers, living faith!
We will be true to thee to death.
"


Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment