Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Ready or not, here I come!

I remember my childhood days of playing hide and seek in my grandparents backyard.  Whoever the seeker of the hidden people was would shout out ready or not, here I come.  I bet you that Jesus is sitting at the right hand of the Father saying, saints of God, Ready or not, Here I come.

This past Sunday was the First Sunday of Advent in many churches, protestant and catholic alike.  Also, the first Sunday of Advent is the first day of a new year in the church.  I remember going to a Roman Catholic school, and would be excited about advent and Christmas.  My favorite Advent hymn to this day is "Veni Emmanuel" or Oh Come, Oh Come Emmanuel.  The word advent comes from the Latin word Adventum, its meaning is conveyed as the coming or the arrival.  In many homes and churches, including my own, you will find advent wreaths, in which candles are lit in anticipation of Christ's coming.

However for Christians, advent is not a season of the anticipation of Christmas, which seems to be the grand finale, but rather a season of preparation and anticipation of our Savior's second advent.  There are many spirituals and contemporary gospel songs that encourage us to "Get Ready."  The question then becomes how do we get ready for Jesus' return?  The answer is simple.  We must occupy until he comes.  We must make ourselves ready by becoming the people that he himself called us to be.  We must love our neighbors as ourselves, we must prepare our hearts for the work of the ministry and discipleship.  In our anticipation we must keep watch and wait.  We don't know when that time should come.  Here's a rhetorical question for you.  Are you ready?  If you're like me, your answer may be a resounding NO!  I say to myself and you as well in the words of the old negro spiritual, "You better get ready!"  Even so Lord, quickly come.

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment