Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The power of a voice

Today is a very important day in the governance of our nation.  Across
the country many states, commonwealths, cities, towns and counties will elect
new officials, or retain incumbents.  As a child I remember going to the
polls with my mom in the morning before she went to work and I went to
school.  Then after school, I would go vote with my grandparents, who were
retired.  Outside of Christmas, voting with my family is one of my
favorite childhood memories.

However as a child, I had no idea how precious the privilege of voting
really is.  It was instilled in me from an early age to vote, and for that
I am eternally grateful to the elders of my family.  I find it hard to
believe, but am humbled at the same time that my ancestral lineage is comprised
of very enterprising and hard working people who were at one point in our
nation's history only considered 3/5 of a man, with no rights under the
constitution than to be the property of someone else.  I think about the
Jim Crow Era, segregation, the black suffrage and am truly humbled that I am
now considered to be a whole man, with the rights, and opportunities as any
other citizen in our great nation.

The challenge for today is to VOTE, if you have not already.  In addition
take time to pray for all elected officials and the election taking place
today.  The following prayer is the prayer for an election, which comes
from the Book of Common Prayer.

Almighty God, to whom we must account
for all our powers and privileges: Guide the people of the United States
in the election of officials and representatives; that, by faithful
administration and wise laws, the rights of all may be protected and our nation
be enabled to fulfill your purposes; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.


Do you know the power of your voice?

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment