Friday, February 11, 2011

Valentine's Validation

TGIF!  Friday could not get here soon enough for me.  Here we are, the most romantic weekend of the year.  Romantic weekend getaways have been planned.  Restaurants are running lovers specials and reservations from today through Monday.  The local florists are working over time, especially in the area of delivery.  Let's not forget that Whitman's, Godiva and Hallmark have all cashed in on this holiday.  On December 26, I found it hard to believe that when I went to Harris-Teeter, for some vittles for a post-Christmas snow storm, the greeting card aisle was plastered with hearts and various shades of red, pink, lavender and white.  I was like, seriously -- Are you serious?  It's still Christmas!!

I will blog about Valentine's Day on Monday.  However I just wanted to remind you -- regardless of your Valentine status, if you have one, several or none at all.  Don't let your Valentine validate your love and self worth.  Let me say it like this.  Don't let the fact that you may not have a Valentine validate your love and self worth.  Pastor Jamal Bryant of Empowerment Temple AME Church in Baltimore, posted that in his Twitter newsfeed.  I thought about that in detail.  If the message of Valentine's Day is centered around love, then please do not limit telling the special people in your lives that you love them only on February 14.  Most of us don't do this, but you'd be surprised. 

Love is one of those things that we get often undeserving.  Love also has reciprocal tendancies.  Think about it.  If you're not a loving person, chances are people are not going to be very loving toward you.  It is great knowing that you are loved.  I think that it's an even greater thing when we share our love with others.  If I had to give you a mandate of love, it would be; Love God, love your neighbor, love yourself and allow others to love you.  Don't let your Valentine validate you! 

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment