Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Soon ah will be done!

You may not think so, but there are times when I have blogger's block.  No inspiration to be found from the lextionary, Bible, Book of Common Prayer, or personal experience.  Today just happens to be one of those days.  Often times when I find myself in this slump, I normally think about the course of the day and what has happened or possibly not happened. 

While thumbing and skimming through student papers in desperate need of my attention, I began to hum "Soon Ah will be done."  This is a beautiful spiritual which was arranged by William L.. Dawson.  Many people probably remember the scence of "Imitation of Life" when Mahalia Jackson is singing this song at Annie's funeral.  This song has some sentiments of death and earthly departure.  However this song is one of many of the plantation songs which our ancestors sang to get them through the trials that they were going through. In reality it summarizes the ultimate hope of every believer.   In everything that you go through, remember that you are a transitory being and just a pilgrim passing through, and soon you will be done.  In all things, remember that only what you do for Christ will last.

Soon I will be done, with the troubles of the world, 
The troubles of the world.
I'm going home to live with God.
I want to meet my mother, I'm going home to live with God.
No more weeping and wailing, I'm going home to live with God.
I want to meet my Jesus, I'm going home to live with God.
Soon I will be done with the troubles of the world.

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment