Sunday, February 13, 2011

Red Sunday 2011

In many churches across the country, you may have noticed that many women and men were wearing red today.  This movement is not in honor of St. Valentine's Day, which happens to be tomorrow.  But several faith communities observed "Go Red Sunday" today and other Sundays throughout the month.  Not only is February Black History Month, it is also American Heart Month.  According to the American Heart Association, every year heart disease claims the lives of 460,000 women in our country, making it the number one killer of American women.  This means that someone's mother, sister, aunt, daughter, grandmother or niece could fall victim at any given moment.

I share this with you not to alarm you, but rather to inform you.  Go Red Sunday is a movement in which women and men alike are encouraged to look at their lifestyles and see where they fall.  Look at your family medical history, you may not want to, but it will clear many questions that you and your primary care physician may have.  It was beautiful to see the red neckties, dresses and sweaters in church today.  But wearing red on any given Sunday in February does not alleviate the problem.  It does raise awareness. 

Last week, I was in a conversation with one of the school nurses at my job and I told her that I could relate to the woman with the issue of blood from the Bible.  Granted her issue of blood and mine are completely different.  Her story is found in the gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke.  In all three of the gospels, upon receiving her healing, Jesus told her "your faith has made you whole."  However in the Mark and Luke's account, Jesus also tells her "Go in peace."  As a Type 2 diabetic, I have an issue of blood that is now under control (thank God).  I know that I am and have been made whole, and I certainly don't allow my faith in God to preclude me from exercising, eating healthy and taking my meds as I should.  On this Go Red Sunday, I challenge you to talk about your health with your family members and most importantly, go to the doctor.  Remember that Jesus is still the master phyisician, and he's still in the healing business.

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment