Saturday, December 18, 2010

Up and Down

I am sitting here at a neighborhood coffee shop watching Raleigh's third snowfall for the month of December.  This is so uncommon for our region, but nonetheless -- it has me in somewhat of a Christmas mood.  During the last couple weeks, my blog entries have centered around advent.  After all, advent and Christmas are my favorite seasons of the church year.  However, during this time; I also reflect on the year; what worked and what did not work.  As I watch the snow dance with the breeze, I am reminded of two things; the latter of which I will blog today.  God is a keeper and preserver.  I am a living witness, and secondly -- you cannot appreciate up until you've been down.

I am sure that for some of us 2010 has been a humdinger of a year.  I have appreciated my mountain top moments as much as my valley lows.  In Spanish, the word altibajos means ups and downs, but it literally means talls and shorts.  I can so relate to this, as there were times in 2010 that I felt taller than Goliath the Giant.  Then there were times that I felt absolutely diminished and shorter than an unassuming toddler.  Some of my down moments in 2010 include being hospitalized and its recuperation, losing a dear childhood mentor and family friend, economic uncertainty, and losing friends; or better yet, seeing some people in my immediate sphere of influence for what they truly are.  In these downswing moments of 2010, I became stronger.  I learned to love and advocate for myself, to rely and trust God in all things; and in everything, to give thanks.

I am also humbled in knowing that even when I thought I was down and out, there was someone whose situation was so much worse than mine, and yet, God kept me.  He has preserved me spirit, soul and body for such a times as this.  With less than two weeks left in 2010, count your blessings and name them one by one.  You too, will soon realize that your good days by far outweigh your bad days.  Let's stop feeling sorry for ourselves, no one is coming to our pity party.  Embrace the down times in your life, but don't stay there.  You will appreciate the up and up more than you would have imagined possible.  You cannot fully appreciate up, until you've been down.

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment