Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Blue Christmas

Can't you just hear Elvis singing "I'll have a blue, blue Christmas without you?"  In 2010 and before, many of us have lost friends and loved ones that were very near and dear to us.  If you've lost someone in 2010, I would imagine that the pain may be unbearable. 

My paternal grandmother died in August 1998.  Was it difficult losing her?  YES?  Have I got over losing her?  Not really.  I think of my grandparents almost everyday.  I'll never forget the Christmas morning of 1998.  I always would call my grandmother first thing on Christmas morning to wish her a Merry Christmas.  This Christmas was not any different.  I picked up the phone, dialed my grandmother's phone number and was immediately greeted by a robotic recording telling me that the number I had dialed was no longer in service.  Even though I knew my grandmother was dead, out of habit I just picked up the phone and called her.  When I hung the phone up, the sad reality hit me, that Grandma was not here this Christmas and would not be for any other Christmas. But in some odd way, I sensed her presence, I knew that she was with me in spirit and that was very comforting as I continued to grieve.

In some bizarre way, death is very much a part of life, as is birth.  If you have lost someone in 2010 or at any point.  Purpose in your heart that you will celebrate their legacy.  Do something in honor of them.  Celebrate them.  Write them a letter, or do an act of kindness in their honor.  Even though it hurts we must move on.  Keep their love in your hearts, and embrace the presence of their spirit.  Even though I'll never have any more of Grandma's sweet potato pie, every time I smell one baking.  I take a deep breath and wish her and my grandfather a Merry Christmas, hoping that they are as proud of me, as I was proud to be their grandson.  Be strong and steadfast in the faith during this holiday season.

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment