Monday, February 11, 2013

A walk...






In less than two days, the holy season of Lent will be upon us.  In the midst of Carnival and Mardi Gras celebrations, many people are contemplating what they will give up, or take on as a part of their spiritual discipline.  Growing up, I attended a Catholic school.  Lent has plagued me for most of my life, but as an Episcopalian, I think that I may have figured this Lent thing out.  Personally, I don’t think that God is concerned about what we give up or take on for Lent.  I think that Lent is a time in which we look inward at ourselves, and walk the walk.  


One of my favorite spirituals is “I want Jesus to walk with me.”  In 2004,  hip hop artist Kanye West released a track “Jesus Walks” on his College Drop Out CD.  “Jesus Walks” is loosely based on the lyrics of “I Want Jesus to Walk with me, ” of course with a little urban Kanye spin.  Don’t get me wrong, I do want Jesus to walk with me.  I believe that the journey to Lent is a holy and sacred one, a time in which we don’t ask Jesus to walk with us, but that we walk with him.

Lent calls us to walk with Jesus through the wilderness, through the temptations, through the miracles, through the healings, and yes, even through the agony in Gethsemane, the crucifixion and the glorious resurrection.  As we walk with Jesus, let’s be mindful, that it is not easy, just as the journey to the cross was not easy for Jesus.  During your lenten stroll, think about how the Universal Spirit will move in,through and around you, while giving you joy for the journey.  This in turn may cause you to be a blessing in the lives of others around you.  You may look up and soon discover that you are not walking with Jesus alone.  Put on your walking shoes.  Here’s wishing you and yours a happy, blessed and holy Lent. 

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment