Sunday, February 3, 2013

Missed Opportunity

 

Okay, so today I have another case of the shoulda, coulda, wouldas.  Today I went to worship at a different church.  I decided that after concluding my internship, it might be good for me to reconnect with my childhood and give the Baptist Church "the old college try."  I visited First Baptist Church in Downtown Raleigh today.  I must admit that there were some things that I had not done in church in decades, like reciting the Church Covenant before communion.  It was good to be back in the church routine that I encountered as a child.

After church, I had my day planned.  Coffee at Bruegger's, write lesson plans, eat lunch, call mom, rest/nap, watch the Super Bowl with friends, shower, retire for the evening.  I live on the cusp of downtown and decided to get some good cardio in and walk to First Baptist.  On my way home, I encountered a young man who appeared to be in his early twenties.  His first attempt to get my attention unnerved me.  I don't respond too well to "Yo."  I kept walking and was then haunted by the you tube video that Fr. Ethan Jewell, Curate at St. Clement's in Philadelphia had posted on responding to homeless people or those in need.  So, after considering how I would feel being brushed off and ignored by someone, I turned around and by this point, he had caught up with me.  His first question was, Are you leaving church?  My immediate thought is "Where the heck is this conversation going?"  I replied; Yes.  He continued and asked me if they had a second service.  I responded yes.  My friend then tells me that he wanted to go to church and that he slept under the Glenwood Avenue bridge at Morgan Street and had to go get his bag and put on a better shirt.  Immediately, I directed him to the church that I felt that he would be warmly welcomed and recieved, just as he was, The Church of the Good Shepherd.  I directed him to the church.  He thanked me and we parted ways.

As I was walking home.  I really wanted to kick myself.  There was another opportunity for me to minister to the needs of someone else, but instead I let it slip by.  I thought about this young man's story.  Apparently he was churched, even to the point of identifying people that look stereotypically "churched" and inquiring of a church's worship schedule.  At that moment, I was so caught up in me, my plan, my agenda and me, I had neglected the need of a fellow brother.  By the time I arrived home, I wondered what would have happened had I walked with this young man to Church of the Good Shepherd and introduced him to the Associate Rector for Urban Ministry?  What would have happened had I engaged him long enough to inquire of his needs even if I could not meet them.  Alas, I sit in Bruegger's drinking lukewarm coffee wondering what could have been.  I hope that my friend did make it to Church of the Good Shepherd, or any church in which he was warmly welcomed and received.  Let us be ever mindful of potential missed opportunities to minister to the needs of those around us.

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment