Monday, January 16, 2012

Where dreamers become achievers!


Welcome to North Carolina A&T State University: Where dreamers become achievers.  During my senior year of high school, when I applied to NC A&T State University, this was the slogan of A&T it could be found on highway billboard signs, university brochures and anything A&T.  That simple slogan made me want to apply to A&T and become a part of the Aggie family, because I always considered myself a bit of a dreamer, even at that age.

Happy MLK Day!  Whether you are off work, in the office, attending some MLK commemoration event, I want to place before you two words, in which I hope that you will ponder.  The words are "then" and "now."  Think about how your life is different now, as opposed to back "then."  I think that for most black people, it is easier for us to look back and wonder how we got over.  Many times not born into families of prestige and privilege, but born with the hope of a better life.  As a son of segregation, meaning that there is only one generation that separated me from that period of turbulence, change protest and unrest.  I am so thankful for those who fought the battles for our generation, those who marched, those who stood up for justice that we may sit in the comfort of a fair and equal world.

Think about your life, the then and the now.  How have you grown?  Has your circle of friends changed to include others that do not resemble you ethnically?  Have you participated or worked for the advancement of a cause greater than yourself?  Have you had the courage to stand up for social justice for all in the midst of opposition and possibly personal loss?  As Michael Jackson would encourage us to do, look in the mirror, ask that person to make a change so that you can make the world a better place.  Change starts with us.  The dream lives through us.  Think about the then and the now of your life.  The elders had a song that went like this.  "When I think of the goodness of Jesus and  all that he's done for me.  My soul cries out Hallelujah!  Thank God for saving me."  God has saved you for this time, and this moment.  As the old Aggie slogan would remind us, go back to that place in your life where dreamers become achievers.

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment