Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New YOU!


Happy New Year! NYE 2K11 is here!  If you didn’t do it in 2011, you are really sitting on a ticking clock.  Today, I spent the majority of my day cleaning my house.  Or as the old folk used to say, sweeping out the old dust from the previous year.  As much as this was physically laborious, I liken it to what I would like to happen spiritually in my life.  I’m not going to come up with a bulleted list of resolved items which probably won’t even last through the Martin Luther King holiday, I am simply going to make a concerted effort to be the best Karsten that I can be.  

The Rev. Dr. Jamal Harrison Bryant, pastor of Empowerment Temple AME Church in Baltimore tweeted yesterday.  “What good is a new year, if you are committed to staying the old you!”  What a convicting statement.  Each day that we arise into God’s glory is like a new year, another opportunity to get it right.  I messed up yesterday, but Lord Jesus, help me to trust you and believe in myself.  I leave you with the words from the hymn “Another Year is Dawning.”

“Another year is Dawning, dear Father let it be.   
In working or in waiting, another year with Thee;  
 Another  year of progress, another year of praise, 
another year of proving Thy presence all the days.

Another year of mercies, of faithfulness and grace; 
another year of gladness, the shining on thy face.   
Another year of leaning upon thy loving breast, 
Another year of trusting, of quiet happy rest.

Another year of service, of witness for thy love; 
another year of training for holier work above.  
 Another year of dawning, Dear Father let it be, 
On earth or else in heaven, Another year for Thee!”

Have a blessed and prosperous 2012!
 Karsten


No comments:

Post a Comment