Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Magnificat!!

Well, I guess one could say that this is part III in my annunciation blog Series.  Part I was "Rocked My World."  Part II was "Be it unto me according to thy word!"  and now we have "Magnificat."  Magnificat, or Mary's song is simply: "My soul doth magnify the Lord."  In the first chapter of St. Luke's gospel, we have a series of connected and related events.  The birth of John the Baptist is foretold by the angel Gabriel.  John's father Zechariah was struck speechless because he did not believe the word of God as proclaimed by Gabriel.  After all, Elizabeth, Mary's cousin was way past child bearing years.  Luckily, Zechariah is able to speak again after John is born and named.

In the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy, Gabriel appears to Mary to tell her that she is to be Jesus' mother, even though she is an unmarried teenage virgin.  Gabriel was very busy in the first chapter of Luke. During Mary's perplexing visit with Gabriel, she learns that her cousin Elizabeth, the one said to have been barren was pregnant.  I believe that Gabriel told her this so that her faith might be made whole.  His words to her were "For with God, nothing is impossible."  After yielding herself to God's will, Mary visited Elizabeth.  Elizabeth gets the Holy Spirit, her baby jumps inside her and she asks her cousin Mary "Why has the mother of the Lord come to visit me?"

After Elizabeth's salutation, Mary immediately goes into her song of praise which is found in Luke 1:47-55.  At your earliest convenience, take time to read Mary's praise which opens up with "My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God, my Savior, for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant."  I was at an evening prayer and meditation service, the priest raised an interesting question, that I present to you today.  How does your life magnify God?  How does your vocation, ministry gifts and talents and relationships with others magnify God?  In the midst of the bustle of the Christmas season, while giving gifts, let's think on the ultimate giver and what gifts we will present to God almighty as our lives magnify him and we strive to become more like Jesus.  My Soul doth magnify the Lord!

Peace and Advent Blessings,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment