Monday, December 19, 2011

Got busy???

I don't know about you, but the last two months of 2011 have completely gotten away from me.  The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is normally a flurry of busyness.  The church observes this period and calls it advent.  The season of advent is a time in which we watch, wait, and remain hopeful for Christ's second coming as we revisit the prophetic foretelling of his birth, and relive through Bible stories the accounts of those who witnessed these events as they unfolded, the shepherds, magi, animals in the manger and a jealous king, who was threatened by the birth of the King of Kings and ordered an immediate infanticide. 

This advent, like others before it has been a time of busyness in my life.  Let me start with getting assigned to a church in which I will serve as a diaconal intern.  Then there were the four holiday parties that I felt socially obligated to attend, saying goodbye to my priest as she has been called to pastor and lead a congregation in Washington, DC, preaching my first sermon since announcing my call to Holy Orders, the two services of Lessons and Carols, the Christmas pageant, the Christmas parade, watching the Nutcracker and Langston Hughes' Black Nativity.  Did I mention working full time and the fact that I have not started Christmas shopping yet?  But at least the Christmas cards are in the mail.

In this great litany of busyness, I did manage to get in some  personal prayer and meditation time to truly reflect on the season.  Some days I was more intentional and successful than others.  On others, I did a quick cross and uttered up the Lord's Prayer and Psalm 23.  As we wait for Jesus during this season, let us also remember that he is waiting for us.  He's waiting for us to put aside all of the busyness that would distract us from having a meaningful relationship with him.  It is my hope that as we wait in hope, love joy and peace that we take time for ourselves and steal away to Jesus.  After all HE is the reason for the season.

Peace and Advent Blessings!
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment