Thursday, April 14, 2011

When I survey the wondrous cross

I cannot believe that Lent is almost over.  For those who have abstained from certain habits, come Easter Sunday, they will be able to indulge and go on with life as usual.  But has your Lent been a holy Lent?  At least that's how my priest rolled out the lenten observance the Sunday before Mardi Gras.  The old hymn "When I survey the wondrous cross" has been on my mind lately.

What do you think about when you see a cross?  They are all over the place these days, in churches, cathedrals, in the homes of family and friends, bejeweled and tattooed on the bodies of people.  There are several types of crosses -- Let's see, we have Egyptian, Coptic, Canterbury, and St. George's cross.  Let's not forget the Red Cross which we very often see during tragic times to offer disaster relief.  Then we have the crucifix, which depicts the Christ on the cross in the final moments of his life.

What immediately comes to your mind when you see a cross?  A simple figure of two perpendicular lines, that to some is just a simple adornment or accessory.  To others it is a profound representation of their faith in something greater than themselves.  To some it is representative of lovingkindness in an oftentimes cruel and unpredictable world.    Several things come to my mind when I see a cross.  When you see a cross today, and believe me you will, think about what it represents to you.  As I close, I leave with you the lyrics to "When I survey the wondrous cross."  If you are not familiar with this song, youtube it.

When I survey the wondrous cross
where the young Prince of Glory died,
my richest gain - I count but loss,
and pour contempt on all my pride.

See, from his head, his hands, his feet,
sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did ever such love and sorrow meet,
or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment