Thursday, April 21, 2011

Kevin and Sean

You know sometimes I just have to break out of the office at work and clear my head.  Earlier today during my planning period, I decided that I was going to take some much needed me time, and run an errand.  As I was returning to school, I decided to see what was going on at my neighborhood Goodwill Industries (a thrift store).  I pulled up and parked, as I was getting out of my car,  a young brother approached me and said very politely, "Hey Big Bro!"  would you happen to have any men's clothes that you can donate?  I said, not with me.  He also told me that he and his brother lived in a local shelter and had not eaten breakfast.  This was about 2:15.  I told him that I had to go look in the store and would be back.

The young man and his brother sat on the stoop and his brother said, I guess it's gonna be one of those days.  His brother told him.  Man, just calm down, Big Bro is going to look out.  Meanwhile, I may have stayed in the store less than five minutes and did not see any vintage books or vinyl of interest.  It's so funny how you respond to people when you're called certain things.  Most of the times when I'm approached by someone in public needing assistance, I'm usually greeted by an "Ay yo my mane!"-- Instant turn off.  But this particular guy called me Big Brother.  Coincidentally, I am the youngest of my family, and always wanted to be a big brother, so naturally this greeting not only intrigued me, but pulled at my heart.

I reached in my pocket and pulled out a crumpled five dollar bill and gave it to the guy who I learned was the younger of the two brothers, whose name is Kevin.  He thanked me, but instead of walking off and rushing back to my office, I engaged in a conversation with the two young men.  Sean, the older of the two brothers is 27 and is the more laid back of the pair, while Kevin is 23.  I discovered that they are local natives with family in the area, but are living in a shelter.  As we were talking, Kevin complimented me on my haircut.  I don't know their story, but I could not judge them, or scoff at them.  I was not fearful in my dialogue with them, because I know that one of the areas that I am called to serve in, is urban ministry.  I knew that God had my back.  Five dollars would not send me to the poor house, but it got a meal for two brothers who probably had not eaten since yesterday. 

If at all possible, during this holiday season and beyond, practice random acts of kindness with friends, family and strangers.  There is always someone in a worse situation than you.  I felt so much better giving that money to Sean and Kevin, someone with whom I connected, as opposed to dropping spare change in the red kettle, which I will continue to do.  Remember the words of our Savior "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."  Matthew 25:40

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment