Wednesday, December 19, 2012

You can't be what you can't see...




As part of my journey into ordination, I had to interview with the Bishop of North Carolina, The Right Reverend Michael Curry.  Although his church title “The Right Rev” may sound daunting, Bishop Curry is a really cool guy.  I remember the day well, a crisp, sunny Eastern North Carolina October morning, with the promise of a glorious afternoon with temperatures in the mid-sixties.  I was not nervous to meet with Bishop Curry at all, perhaps because I had seen him out and about in the diocese several times doing what he does best preaching, teaching and walking in the gospel of Christ both in season and out of season.

During my interview, Bishop Curry and I talked about many things, from iPads, using Facebook and Twitter to evangelize and spread the gospel, my secular profession, oh let’s not forget church and Jesus.  Bishop Curry and I laughed and had a really good conversation.  The thing that I left with after my interview was something that he said to me as it related to my work and vocation.  “You can’t be what you can’t see.”  Over the last year, those seven simple words have been in the forefront of my mind and intentions.

Isaiah 9:2 reads “The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death.”  Isaiah 60:2 takes it a step further and mentions the fact that “…gross darkens covers the peoples of the earth.”  Beloveds, we do live in a dark and at times scary world as continuous events unfold around us that are contrary to Christ’s message of hope, peace and love.  But there’s a simple song that almost everyone knows, “This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine.”  This song, in a simplistic and childlike way reminds us that in our everyday living in this dark world, that if we let the true light of Christ shine in and through us, that Christ’s gospel of peace and love will not only be seen, but lived and ultimately preached.   The people in this world cannot be the love of Christ, if they don’t see it in us.  Let your light shine, you may just evangelize to someone unknowingly.  “You can’t be what you can’t see.”  Thank you for that timely reminder, Bishop Curry. 

Keep the faith,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment