Sunday, December 9, 2012

Proud Mary?




I must admit that every time I hear the name Mary, I automatically think about Ike and Tina Turner and the Ikettes and their energetic version of “Proud Mary.”  Which, during its peak on the charts, was the equivalence of the Beyonce “Crazy in Love” tour.  I must admit that there are several Marys (Mariahs, Marías, Miriams) and other forms in my life, from my late grandmother, the Chair on the Commission on Ministry for the Diaconate in my diocese, and the registrar at my school.  Let’s not forget that here in the South, double names are a must, so I have had my fair share of encounters with Mary (so-and-so).  

But as I sat in chapel on Friday, the Chaplain retold the story of when the angel Gabriel came to visit the Virgin Mary.  Mary’s world was turned upside down in a matter of minutes, beginning with Gabriel’s “Fear not” greeting.  Mary discovered that she would be the bearer of salvation for all humanity.  Gabriel told Mary a series of things.  You are highly favored, you will have son, you will name him Jesus, he will be great and called the Son of the Most High.  I’m sure at this point that Mary was just a confused and bewildered bundle of nerves.  As is the case in both the modern and ancient worlds, virgins don’t have babies!  Gabriel told her that the power of the Most High will overshadow her in order that this should occur.  Gabriel also tells Mary of her cousin/aunt Elizabeth, the one said to be barren who conceived in her old age.  Gabriel’s parting words to Mary were “For nothing will be impossible with God.”  Mary immediately went to Judea to find her cousin Elizabeth.  This was a very joyful reunion, in which Mary told Elizabeth the things that were to come to pass in her life.  

Proud Mary Keep on rolling?  I don’t think so.  Mary was a young, unmarried, teenager.  There was nothing prideful about this news that Mary just received.  In her time, Joseph, her fiancé would have been well within his right and Hebrew law to have her executed.  But in her most holy faith, she told the angel Gabriel “Here I am, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.”  Advent is a time of expectancy.  At this time you are the bearer of something in your womb that God has promised you.  It may not be fame or riches, it could simply be temperance and a meek spirit, a little more faith for the journey.  Chaplain Bonner-Stewart reminded us on Friday that every Mary needs an Elizabeth, and every Harry Potter needs a Dumbledore, to walk with us on the journey, to encourage us when we’re vulnerable and strengthen us when we’re weak.

Beloved, “For nothing will be impossible with God.”  Let us boldly profess with the Virgin Mary and all the company of heaven “Here I am, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.”  Then go find your Elizabeth or Dumbledore, whether they be local, or a day’s journey away and share with them the goodness of Jesus and all that he’s doing in,through and with you.  Saying yes to God is not easy, but his grace is sufficient.  “Proud Mary, Keep on Rolling!”

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment