Saturday, July 30, 2011

I wonder...

With all this talk of record breaking heat, debt ceilings being raised, unemployment, and all other conditions of men and society.  It just makes one wonder.  Over the course of the summer, I've been in a very humble and contemplative mental frame of reference.  I guess that's what having nearly two months off work will do for you.  Note, that previous statement was two months off work, not ministry.  Ministry, whether lay or ordained is a full time, salary exempt position.  There is more than an abundance of over time hours. 

Case in point, today while checking out my priest's BLOG "God's Worker Bee" I was in Brugger's enjoying a cup of hazelnut coffee, or should I say cream with hazelnut coffee?  I was approached by an acquaintance who is a dear friend of one of my former student's parents.  He asked what I was doing and I told him checking out my priest's BLOG.  He thought that was the coolest thing that my priest had a blog.  I told him about my church, and invited him to our upcoming Family & Friends Day.  He was very receptive and open to coming.  See what I'm saying, 24 hour ministry.

Earlier today, I was at Target, and I saw an older lady that reminded me of my grandmother Annie.  I was really close to my paternal grandparents, and had a moment of really missing her and wanting to talk to her, wanting to hear a word of loving encouragement from her.  I did get emotional, but not to the point of being a crying, snotty mess.  As I entered the store, the old lady had hand wipes and she wiped the handle of the basket in which she would put her purchases.  I chuckled to myself and began to wonder, if my grandmother would be proud of me.  Would she be proud of the man that I have become?  What would she tell me if she were here with me today? 

Not only did I think about my grandmother, but I began to think of all the brave frontline soldiers who suffered and died so that I might enjoy to the civil liberties that I so often take for granted.  I wonder if the people upon whose shoulders I currently stand, would deem me to be an adequate representation of what their hopes were.  Sometimes upon gazing at my reflection in the mirror, I often wonder who is that man?  What has he done to make a difference?  Brothers and sisters, it is important to live each day to the fullest, and in all your doings, make sure that you glorify God, correct the wrongs and injustices of society and speak up when it would be more convenient to remain silent.  Change begins with you.  I wonder if you will join me in making the saints and our ancestors proud?

Peace,

Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment