Sunday, March 27, 2011

Fit in or stand out?

I am having a cup of coffee and hanging out with one of my favorite TV ministers, the late Bishop Gilbert E. Patterson at Couchside Baptist, no worries.  I am going to church today, just dragging my feet a little.  Yesterday in my Twitter newsfeed, I saw the following tweet and it just blessed me and ministered to me.  The tweet was posed as a question:  Why are you trying so hard to fit in, when God has called you to stand out?

Think about it.  How many times do we not do something because we don't think that we're good enough?  How often do you "go along" with the crowd or your crew, just to get along?  How many times have you dummied yourself down just to date a potential significant or insignificant other?  Have you ever compromised your integrity or lowered your standards, just to be in good with what you and others may have perceived to have been the in group, the do-drop-in club, or the A-list?  Speaking for myself, I can answer in the affirmative.  But as humans we are social beings and generally enjoy being around people that we think are good intentioned and are of sound mental capacities.

Twitter has inspired me to share this with you today.  Do not try to fit in, when God has called you to stand out.  As believers, Christians, Abraham's seed and co-heirs with Christ, we do not have to fit in circles of negativity, commiseration, poverty, or addictions.  God has called us out of darkness and into his marvelous light.  At the same time, we are not called to fit in with people who, on the outside may have it going on, but their lives are in just utter disarray.  We are all uniquely different and gifted in our own special way.  Tap into your gift.  Encourage others to tap into their gifts as well.  You may just get blessed in the process.  Why are you trying so hard to fit in, when God has called you to stand out?

Peace,
Karsten

No comments:

Post a Comment